Sunday, December 21, 2008

I need rainboots, Mom!

We had some pretty crazy weather here last week. The predictions of the weathermen actually came about and it rained for nearly 2 days straight. Some of you may think this is no big deal, but it is here!

The culvert is in the canyon behind our backyard and in usually dry. I have seen some water in it after other rains, but never this full.

I love this kind of weather. I grew up with rainy winters and often stomped in puddles as a kid. When I was frozen through I thawed out in a hot bath. My reaction has changed over the years. Now I want to curl up under my super warm blanket with a cup of hot cocoa and watch the rain, the unpredictability of the patterns created by the water,



the reflections in the drops,

and how the colors change as everything becomes saturated.


Because I wanted the boys to stay inside given the recent plague, naturally the boys wanted to play in the rain
(when I say boys, I mean all three!)
Because serious rains are so infrequent, my kids are not prepared. Cameron wanted so much to play in the rain and it seemed silly to send him out in sock and shoes because they would take forever to dry. So he went out in his crocs. The puddles were deep in the backyard and after maybe 5 minutes, he was soaked up to his knees. After an hour of playing in the puddles he finally dragged himself in, shivering, begging for a hot bath! And rainboots.

So I went to my favorite store that carries everything to find their supply of rainboots completely wiped out. I found a cart of returns that an employee was putting back on the shelves. All the shoes are tied together with elastic loops and all those loops were tangled together. It took some serious hunting but I finally came up with 4 pairs of boots in just the right sizes!

No comments: