Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Swim Lessons

Early in the summer, Emma went to a friend's house for a swim party. She comes home saying, "Mommy, it was lots of fun, but I don't want to wear a life jacket anymore. Can I please take swim lessons?" Ok, check. I will see what I can do. So we signed the kids up for swim lessons. The girls were in the same class. Briley did extremely well, learning to float and the basics of some of the common strokes. She has not mastered any of those yet, but what I will say for her is that her confidence in the water has multiplied greatly. My dad always has told me that water is a great equalizer (he has to be one of the most uncoordinated people I know-sorry Dad!- but he is amazing in the water). Briley is tall and awkward much of the time and does not have the same athletic grace Emma has on land. But wow, my dad was right all those years. Water really is a great equalizer and Briley finally found something that she is more natural at than Emma. Part of Emma's problem in the water is that she can't float. At all. Oh, Briley is in purple goggles and Em is in pink.










The boys were in the same class (all 4 kids' lessons were at the same time in different parts of the pool). The first day Logan screamed and cried and would not let go of his teacher's neck for anything in the world (except the side of the pool at the end of the 30 minutes). Then Cam, my fearless little Cam, jumps right in, getting his face wet and everything. But Logan persevered (ok I did too-I brought him back again and again) until he finally was comfortable. His teacher only had to peel him from my arms two more times and then he was good- a little nervous still-but no longer screaming or clinging. Whew! That was hard on us both! Cam went from not swimming at all to looking like a little bug as he kicks and paddles. It's great to see them all getting so confident! Great work my little swimmers!

No comments: