Last week, Briley celebrated her 8th birthday. Wow. 8 years old. I just can't believe it! I said a few things about Briley at her baptism, and now I share those things with you so that you may get to know her a little more. It's long, and I apologize for that, but here it is anyway: I am so grateful to be here this morning with you. 11 years ago, I was baptized in this very font. So now to be here with Briley, as she is about to be baptized, this moment fills me with immeasurable joy. From her birth I knew this moment would come, and that it would be her decision. She has always been independent, knowing what she wants and finding a way to get it. She has wanted this moment for a long time. She has never doubted that this moment of her baptism would come, and that is a special thing.
Briley loves the Lord, and she loves His gospel. When she was just barely three, Briley decided that she wanted to serve a mission. She wanted to teach people about Jesus, so that others could know about the Savior and love Him the way she loves Him. Then she had a little brother, and she was so excited that she would be able to serve a mission with her brother. As it turns out, their ages are such that Briley and Cameron will be able to serve missions at the same time. The Savior is her friend, she trusts Him, and wants to share that trust and that love so that others can know it too.
Briley loves the scriptures. We started reading the scripture stories to Briley as soon as shw was old enough to still still and listen. By the time Briley was 5 years old, she wanted to have her turn reading the scriptures. She would struggle each morning to read a few words, an entire verse if she pushed hard. At 6, her reading had improved and she could read more. She recognized that she could feel the love of God as she read or listened to the scriptures. She wanted so much to share the wonderful feeling she had and the lessons she was learning with her grandparents. So she went to the missionaries and asked for a Book of Mormon that she could send to her grandparents. She wrote her testimony down, simple and pure, and sent the grandparents. And now, she often reminds Andy and me when we forget that we ought to sit down as a family and read the scriptures. She understands that the scriptures will help her grow closer to God, and even though she doesn't understand all that she reads, the Holy Ghost will guide her through her life.
Not growing up in the Church, I often wonder how children develop their own testimonies. I have been blessed with this knowledge as I watch Briley and her siblings grow. Recently, we watched a film about the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley. Following the film, Briley came to me and told me that she had cried. I asked her why and responded that it was sad to remember that President Hinckley is gone and that she really missed him. I explained to her that this meant that she must have really loved President Hinckley and to love him that much, she had developed a testimony of him as a prophet of God. I was deeply touched to see that she is developing her own testimony outside of mine and her dad's.
Thank you to all of you that came to support Briley in this huge milestone in her life. It meant the world to her that so many of you came to spend this special day with her. So thank you again.
3 comments:
Congratulations Briley! Chris, what an amazing moment! Can you believe you have an eight-year old! They grow up so fast. Briley is a beatiful girl. I totally miss hanging out with you (I know it's been a long time). Your kids are all so cute and I like to check out your blog. You're such a great mom, and good example to me (Andy is a great dad as well--a good team). :)
Congrats! Doesn't this make you feel old? Or just look forward to when you don't have to get a sitter? I'm pretty divided! I can't believe how fast they grow up!
What a special day! I love her dress. You did a great job!
Post a Comment